The Howson & Howson Legacy
Since its founding in 1853, the firm has obtained patents for many famous inventors, and has helped protect technologies and products from the Zeppelin airship and the bar code, to a propeller coupling mechanism for the V-22 Osprey aircraft, to today’s advancements in engineering, industrial chemistry, and biotechnology. Howson & Howson continues to protect the inventions, brand names, and creative works of our clients, supporting their continued success.
The Howson Family
In 1872 and 1875, respectively, nephew Hubert A. and son Henry, Jr. joined Henry in the practice of patent law, and the firm’s name was changed to Howson & Sons.
Hubert A. Howson later established an office of the firm located in New York City, representing among other notable inventors, the founders of the Lionel Manufacturing Company. Upon the death of Henry Howson, Sr. in 1885, the firm was renamed Howson and Howson.
Charles Henry Howson, Charles’ son and Henry’s Sr.’s grandson, joined the firm as a patent attorney upon graduation from the University of Pennsylvania in 1900. Charles Henry Howson served as the President of the Philadelphia Patent Law Association and as Chairman of the Patent, Trademark and Copyright Section of the American Bar Association.
Two of Charles Henry’s sons, Charles H., Jr. and James D., joined the firm in 1930 and 1936, respectively. Charles H. Howson, Jr. graduated from Yale University in 1930 and received his law degree from Temple University in 1934. James D. Howson graduated from Williams College in 1932 and received his law degree from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1936.
Charles H. Howson, Jr. became partner in the firm in 1937 and was the last descendent of founder Henry Howson to practice in the firm. He retired in 1976 and passed away in January 1996.